Taking time off as an entrepreneur

I don’t know about anyone else but I do find being an entrepreneur can easily take over all your time and thinking. Am I the only one who thinks about it at weekends and in the evenings? I don’t just mean sometimes working long hours - I guess we all do that, I mean thinking about your business a lot in your own time. Is it just me?

3 Likes

Hi Dave. I’ve not been an entrepreneur long but I have to say I’ve really noticed that I’m thinking about it at home more than I used to at my old job. Seems like a good thing to me that people take their businesses seriously and put a lot of thought into it.

3 Likes

I don’t know Michael, there is more to life than work. I know my kids have noticed it when I am working more and more at the weekends.

3 Likes

I think that this will be a problem for me when things really get going. I mean, I haven’t even started properly yet and it still occupies my mind 80% of the time!

I wonder if there is anything around that which people would recommend reading or exploring - so that I can get in to some good habits from the very start?

2 Likes

Personally, I think it depends, if your making something that’s like, a personal project or similar, it’s easy to start thinking about it in your spare time because it’s kinda your hobby too.
A lot of people might consider it “obsessive” but I feel like it’s all dependant on why it’s on your mind.
For example, if you’re thinking about it because you’re enthusiastic and are planning or creating ideas then I think that’s healthy, but if it’s a weight that you’re “not working” then it’s probably unhealthy.
I guess I’d compare it to being employed in a waged position, if you’re thinking “ooh, here’s a really good idea for something I can do, yeah, I feel good about that” then I don’t think it’s bad.
There’s a lot of satisfaction to be had with an occupation.
Ah, sorry for the long writing.

2 Likes

You raise a very good point about healthy vs unhealthy focus on it Sandy. I think there’s definitely value in having a job or project you care enough about to put thought into at home, but it can run the risk of monopolising your time. It’s easy for it to take over so much time that friends and family are missing out on spending time with you if you’re not careful, so I’d personally recommend setting some sort of boundary with yourself about a time or place where work gets put to one side (be that at the dinner table, anytime past eight pm, or similar).

One trap I have seen people fall into is thinking “oh well I’m only busy for the next week/month/three months, then it all calms down” but ending up in a cycle of constantly finding a new thing that makes them busy again. It’s a difficult situation to avoid I think, and I’d really appreciate anyone elses thoughts on it.

(Seems the long posts are going around these days lol)

1 Like